I know I have been absent from the blogosphere for a while, I got CRAZY busy at work and was traveling a ton. Then, I got sick...but now I am back!
So each Fall in addition to allergies, I catch the cooking bug. Because who wants to cook in San Antonio in the Summer? Not me. In between business trips I have been busy perfecting some of my favorite recipes and want to share them with you here. I absolutely love meatballs, and for some reason they taste better to me with ground turkey as opposed to beef. Here is how I do it:
1 lb ground turkey breast
1/2 finely diced onion
1 cup mushrooms chopped fine
2 cloves garlic minced (or 2 teaspoons chopped garlic)
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
salt and pepper
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 pieces bread (I use the heels of the loaf)
Place a medium-sized frying pan over medium heat, add a coating of cooking spray. When the pan is hot, add garlic and cook until fragrant (usually just a few minutes). Add the chopped mushrooms and onions to the pan and cook until onions are translucent and mushrrooms are nice and brown. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
Next beat two eggs and milk together in a bowl, tear bread into small chunks and add to egg mixture. Let soak a few minutes.
In a large bowl, combine turkey, spices, cooked vegetables and bread chunks. Mash the mixture up really well with your hands. I have found the only way to make sure all of the ingredients are well incorporated is with my hands. Once you are satisfied that the meat is well mixed, roll up into balls. I again use my hands and cook them on a flat top frying pan until brown on the outside and cooked through. You could cook them in a frying pan in batches as well. This recipe makes a ton of balls, and I serve them two ways. The first night is over whole wheat spaghetti with marinara and freshly grated parmesan. The next night I slice the balls and top a homemade pizza with them...two delicious nights of meatballs!!
No comments:
Post a Comment